If you think it may go wrong, it definitely will

This is the blog post I wanted to be out for such a long time. This is something which I have experienced time and again but did not pay much attention to, even though it has affected me for quite some time. This is what I have finally realised that:

If think it may go wrong, it definitely will

There have been several instances in my life(and career) where I felt that a certain thing must not be done or a certain action must be refrained. But still, that action being the easy route would always find a way sneak in and would create a mess later on. This easy action could be anything which is short of a proper way of doing things. Essentially, it is a hackish way of doing things instead of doing things diligently.

When applying a hack to a program is concerned, it could anything ranging from hard-coding the values, copy pasting the code(without understanding it) or adding logs to a specific location. It would be very hard to find someone who would not have committed such a sin during the course of his/her career. The idea here is not to mull over your own foolishness but to learn from it and come out as a wiser individual.

One such thing that happened with myself, rather I should say I let it befall upon me was the sin of logging to file. One would think, what is the harm in logging to a file. No harm, one would say. Though logging to a file may seem an easier solution but such hacks usually have their own price. You just log the items you want to the file and be done. It seems simple enough. But life, my friend is not simple enough and can screw you any time it wants.
So, things run fine with logs you have added and now you want to try out these changes on some other machine. Once on the other machine, what you see is the program crashing left and right without any particular reason. You will keep on scratching your head with those crashes, until the picture becomes clearer.

And you say, Oh God! how can I be so negligent regarding this assumption (anyways its an assumption, so it is ass-u-me) that the same path may not be available on the other machine. There could be plenty of reasons which could lead to this situation. It could be filesystem permission issues, file path availability issues( as n my case) to name a few.

Though it is a bad experience, it can be an equally enlightening one as well, if we choose to accept it in that manner. You may want to kick yourself in the ass, but we must learn to get up, learn and move forward. This is the way to live, keep learning from your mistakes.

Comments